Nuffnang Ads

Monday, January 12, 2009

THOROUGH UNDERSTANDING

Today I finally learned thoroughly about the three stories that Dr Edwin had assigned us to read last week. First, let’s talk about Ovid’s Daedalus and Icarus. I got the painting wrong, which is such a shame because before this, I was contemplating of printing the right one which is Brueghel’s painting, Landscape With The Fall of Icarus. Nonetheless, I found out that the story or rather the character, Icarus symbolizes the fall of a free spirit that once soared the sky. Although the wings was supposed to be wings of freedom but in the end it becomes Icarus’s wings of death.

Next, is the story The Son of The Turtle Spirit. Dr Edwin gives us something to ponder over. Even though the son is obedient, following his mother’s instruction without questioning her, he is doing it at the expense of deceiving other people. So, what is the real moral behind the story?

Lastly, The Mahabharata where Dr Edwin asked us the same question that I recalled he asked during our last course with him, which is The Teaching of Drama. The question is “What is the difference between love and sacrifice?”Well, for me when you love someone, you want him to be happy and have everything that he wishes for. That includes sacrificing what you have for him. Yes, love is stupid in a certain sense and yes, it has make me melancholic over and over again. But seeing the fact that love has been the most favourite theme of all time, I figured that is must have significance in our lives as human beings. With that note, I end my posting this time with one confession; even though I look like a tough cookie, but inside I am a sucker for love :P

No comments: