Nuffnang Ads

Monday, January 5, 2009

MY FIRST TIME

Literature has always been my passion for the past four and a half years (ever since I started to know that literature is fun and not some depressing story about “The Pearl of The World”). So, every time I had to study a subject which has something to do with literature, I always expect a time in class filled with fun and new reflection on all things connected to life.

During my first class for EDU 3234, Readings & Project Work For Teaching Literature in ESL Contexts, I was expecting the same thing; whole loads of discussion on literary aspects and critical analysis of the literary works. I got what I expected but with a little extra surprise; which is writing a position paper and a research paper.

Back in Johor Bahru, where I studied in a teachers’ training institute, I was taught to write critically and creatively. How to be analytical yet open to interpretation of a particular piece of subject. Now, I think that I have to utilize my knowledge and understanding so that I will be able to not just write a paper, may it be position paper or a research paper; but able to do an organized research and clear outline of my assignments.

Other that those two assignments that I have to submit, Dr Edwin has given us a handbook which contains other forms of literature works aside from poems, dramas, short stories and novels. He asked us to read three tales from the book; The Son of The Turtle-Spirit, The Mahabharata, and Ovid’s Metamorphosis. We have to google information on Ovid and Pygmalion, plus Dr Edwin asked us to find a picture and a poem related to Fall of Icarus. Although I have no idea about tales, I am looking forward to know and learn more about it!

No comments: