Nuffnang Ads

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

BLEEDING LOVE

In our last class, Dr Edwin has instructed us to read 3 stories from the handbook for EDU 3234. The Son of The Turtle-Spirit, The Mahabharata, and Pyramus and Thisbe.

I didn’t quiet understand nor like the first story as it’s too much of a fairytale to me. I mean, I like some of the Brothers Grimm’s fairy tales as the story could be really twisted and cruel at times. Nevertheless, there are always some lessons and values to be learned at the end of the story. However, for The Son of The Turtle Spirit, I couldn’t see the message behind the story except one; always listen to your mother (the maiden’s mother is the smart one as she asks the maiden to sew the thread to know the origin of the young man), and two; be confident in your true ability (although everybody thought that the son of the turtle-spirit couldn’t dive into the river and put the bones inside the dragon’s mouth, still he succeeded as he believes in himself).

For the second story, The Mahabharata, I think the message is quite clear; sometimes, you have to sacrifice for other people’s happiness, especially your loved ones. Devavrata chose the most terrible oath to be sonless so that her father can marry Satyavati. That is a big oath, if you ask me as it is a very big price to pay for somebody else’s bliss.

The last story that I read is heart-wrenching yet it is my most favourite stories of all three. When I read it, it reminds me of Romeo and Juliet, where two lovers ended up being dead over some misunderstanding. Weird, why do we like to hurt so much over love? Love, love, love. An issue that has been repeated over and over again by writers ever since the beginning of time. In the story, it tells about the forbidden love between Pyramus and Thisbe, so they decided to run away and live together. Unfortunately, they both ended up dead together due to some misunderstanding. Sad, sad story but still I like the melancholic and romantic air that surrounds the story. I am not a soppy person myself, but this story is something that I would definitely read for the second time. One memorable quote from the story is “Love made her bold”. True enough, love can make people do crazy things.

No comments: