Nuffnang Ads

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

THE ART OF GOOGLING

The other day, I went to a cyber café to google something about Fall of Icarus. Dr Edwin asked us to find out a painting and also a poem about it. I googled the painting first, and there were quite a few versions of the paintings. How to know which is the right one? So, I googled the painting once again, this time in wikipedia. And I saved the correct one.

Next, I look for the poem. Once again, many versions of the poems. So, what do I do? Once again, wikipedia is the answer. And, once again wikipedia saved the day.

If there is one true virtual saviour for students who are unsure about the materials that has to be googled, I would certainly say wikipedia is the answer. It saves me a lot of time and it is easy to use.

And, one more thing that Dr Edwin asked us to google is about Ovid and Pygmalion. And guess what saved the day once (or maybe twice, or should I say thrice?) is yes, you guess it, wikipedia!

Ok, enough about wikipedia already. I found out that the painting Fall of Icarus is a picture of two men who seems to have wings falling from the sky. Sure enough, the painting reflects the title. Later, when I read the handbook, there is a story written by Ovid, which is Daedalus and Icarus. Icarus fly too close to the sun so the wax that binds his wings together melted and he fell down to earth. Tsk,tsk…I wonder what is the message of the story. Don’t get too close to danger? Is the sun a danger? Maybe yes, sun can give you skin cancer if you sunbathed too much. Hmm, either way, I will wait for Dr Edwin to discuss the story so that I can understand it better.

No comments: